[lbo-talk] [OFF] Immanuel Kant: An Erotic Life

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 14:41:14 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> She has a lot of virtues, but the voice reflects the moral-exhortatory
> nature of her politics. It's always more about outrage than understanding -
> even victimization than resistance or triumph.

You are right: the form and the content are in perfect alignment. I heard a speech of hers recently in which she talked about how she and other journalists were repressed and hassled at some protest she was covering, and it was all outrage and victimization. She kept telling the police that she had credentials, that they had no right to detain and harass her, that she was going to lodge a complaint against them, etc. It made me laugh: the denunciation of repressive power ("I've got rights!") and the simultaneous appeal to it to protect her ("I'm going to report you!"). It was one of the most painful things I've heard in awhile and reminded me why I avoid her show.