[lbo-talk] clarification

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 13:04:10 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 2:01 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

> Probably the biggest practical experience I have with this approach is in
> my work with feminists who've eschewed drawing out maps for how people ought
> the get from here to there, but have focused on building a good process for
> how people can do that, together, on the ground, as events are happening
> rather than pre-planning it and selling it in books. there were factions of
> feminists who didn't do that and, instead, wrote prescriptive books
> containing recipes for how women should live the feminist future right now.
> they are all resting in the dustbin of history. consciouness-raising,
> however, is still with us. the communes and utopian women's encampments,
> though, are dead.
>

> This is exactly what the most successful, robust, multiracial,
multi-regional and multi-status environmental movement of the last quarter century did. Moving from the Toxics Clearinghouse into a variety of pre-EPA cooptation environmental justice struggles, the politics was one of laterally shared experiences horizontally across struggles rather than a centralized, expert-led national organization. As long as these movements stayed horizontal, they spread. As they centralized, and - not completely unexpectedly - as they gained a foothold in the Big 10 mainstream environmental groups and the EPA, the environmental justice movement moved away from its inchoate, diverse open and proliferating trajectory into one defined and operationalized by experts in and out of government for those understood to be experiencing injustice. Before institutionalization, it was pretty hard to define the anti-toxics and environmental justice movements because of the diversity of toxics, broad spectrum of injustices and the myriad players across multiple racial and class strata. Now, risk analysis largely defines the statistical character of the over-representation of some people with particular identies among those exposed to specific chemicals or situations... environmental justice, in these terms, is the equal exposure of everyone to only a modicum of nasty and dangerous household, commercial and dispersed pollution.