[lbo-talk] What Would Have to Happen First

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Feb 14 11:32:59 PST 2010

Hyperinflation destroys social benefits as effectively as cutbacks and yours is the only account I've read which suggests that health, education, pensions, and other popular programs from the Soviet era remained intact in the decade following the dissolution of the USSR, and that the nomenklatura did not benefit from the redistribution of state properties. Yeltsin's shelling of the Parliament was a storm in a teacup compared to the bloody widespread repression which has historically accompanied counter-revolutions and aborted popular uprisings. That incident did not alter the fact that capitalism was already being restored peacefully in the fSU, contrary to the expectations of Marxists and others did not concieve that the working class or bureaucratic caste or a new state capitalist class (take your choice) would consent to the restoration of private ownership, abolished after the Russian Revolution, without a struggle. But I don't intend to engage in further wordplay with you as in previous threads, so you can have the last word.