[lbo-talk] Waht Would Have to Happen First

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Feb 14 14:06:47 PST 2010

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:34:41 -0600 Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes:

> The accounts I hCW read said that the Shah's generals told him that
> the
> troops could not be depended on to fire on the marchers, and that
> was
> what at the end triggered his flight. Tiananmen Square exemplifies
> the
> opposite, when the troops would use maximum force. DeGaulle, before
> he
> be gan dealing with the 1968 near-insurrection in France travelled
> NATO Headquarters in Belgium to consult his generals there on the
> dependabiltiy of the Frecn Army, and was assured of it. I
> undeerstand
> the reason there were no federal troops in Chicago at the DP 1968
> Convention was that the main available Battalion was heavily Black
> and
> could not be depended on if Blacks joined the riots. One marine I
> knew
> who was in the First Gulf War said his platoon, mostly Blacks and
> Latinos from Chicago, tacitly agreed that they would carry out
> orders in
> that w ar, but if they were ever called upon to fight in a Latin
> American country, they would refuse.

Another example is the Kent State shootings of May 4, 1970. I think that one reason why Richard Nixon was so vocal in his support of the National Guardsmen was that it was by no means a given that the National Guard could be relied upon to fire upon antiwar protestors. Regardless of whether the National Guardsmen at Kent State had been ordered to shoot or not, it must have been a great relief to Nixon that, whether acting under orders or not, they were willing to shoot down student protestors. If the National Guard at Kent State and elsewhere had, instead, proven to be unwilling to shoot protestors, when ordered to do so, the US ruling class would have found itself in deep doodoo.

____________________________________________________________ Weight Loss Program Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=JZQjYfliV_BVZ7N2OeODJAAAJ1DoEMrytxsVXKlEh0tvqeWlAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEUgAAAAA=