[lbo-talk] Waht Would Have to Happen First

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 14:26:01 PST 2010

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Would ther have been outside intervention had the France
> 68 turned into a successful uprising, with the French Army passive or
> joinging the upris8ing?)

I'm pretty familiar with the US and NATO mentality of the period and I'd say it's almost certain there wouldn't have been foreign intervention. (I just checked the relevant document collection and all there is is a statement by Katzenbach at an NSC meeting to the effect if De Gaulle uses force it will only make things worse and "it is in our interest to have the situation in France calm down.") Any attempt to undermine a revolution would have come in the form of economic strangulation afterward. The problem is that, especially given the political climate in the other Western Europe countries, it would have been very hard to maintain an embargo on France and even the attempt to do so could polarize the situation in the other countries and cause the problem to spread. Had the revolution gone forward I think its success or failure would have been determined internally. A sobering thought.

SA