[lbo-talk] The zen of marx (was clarification)

Lakshmi Rhone lakshmirhone at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 10:12:27 PST 2010

Alan You're right that there is all this work on behavioral economics. I don't know what to make of it. I was only making the simple point that I understand the labor theory of value as a theory of how people value goods or give meaning to goods in the marketplace. So I think it's a subjective theory--or at least a theory of aggregated subjective estimations of objective costs-- and I think people can't but value judgments without relative judgments or comparisons. That is, I figure out how much a hand woven sweater is worth by guessing how much more time went into it as compared to a machine produced one. If I didn't ask that question, I don't know how I would make my own value judgments. That people are making such valuations seems beyond obvious but that seems to be hugely controversial among economists. So I am willing to say that there is some truth to the labor theory of value for a lot of goods, but it's obviously not a complete theory. And even if it's approximately correct, I don't see what it has to do with making society socially just. Do we need economics? I think most people have already figured out that we don't need economists! LR