[lbo-talk] What Would Have to Happen First

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 11:33:24 PST 2010

[WS:] The only scientific use of a theory is that it explains something by positing an empirically verifiable cause-effect relationship among observable phenomena. If a theory does not do that it has no scientific use, albeit it may have other uses, such as political, social, emotive, religious etc. A theory claiming that natural disasters are god's punishment for people's bad behavior has no scientific use for obvious reasons, albeit it may have other uses such as discouraging people from misbehaving.

I can think of several theories that explain prices, business cycles, or organizational forms of production, but ltov is not one of them. I do not even see what it is exactly that the ltov can possibly explain, if it cannot explain prices or the process through which things of value to humans are being procured. From that pov, ltov is pretty useles in social sciences (whatever they are worth.)

I can see, however, that the ltov was politically useful at a certain point in time, because it provided intellectual ammunition in the struggle for the betterment of the working class condition - a worthwhile goal to be sure. For that reason, it has historical significance even though its value in modern social sciences is nil.

Wojtek