[lbo-talk] The zen of marx (was clarification)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 15 11:43:53 PST 2010

Lakshmi Rhone wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Ted Winslow <egwinslow at rogers.com> wrote
> (quoting Marx):
>
> > To oppose the welfare of the individual to this end, as Sismondi does, is
> > to assert that the development of the species must be arrested in order to
> > safeguard the welfare of the individual, so that, for instance, no war may
> > be waged in which at all events some individuals perish.
> >

> Frankly speaking, Ted you are scaring me. My social justice perspective is
> at odds with your Marxism/Stalinism. I worry that I am on the wrong list.

Well, there is quite a variety of opinion on this list, so if you are fearful even of hearing 'dangerous' opinion, then perhaps it is the wrong list for you.

As to Ted's post; I have many differencew with his views, but it sounds prety absurd to call him a "stalinist," unless "stalinist" means anyone who takes action or supports others in taking action. Besides, Stalin has been dead for over 55 years & to be still throwing his name around to scare the children looks pretty silly.

But what in the deuce is a "social justice" position?

Carrol