[lbo-talk] What Would Have to Happen First

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:30:13 PST 2010

>[WS:] You do not need the Ricardian-Hegelian-Marxian edifice to explain
>this. Simple Malthusianism will suffice. That is to say, in some parts of
>the world, population growth exceeds the growth of the productive forces
>that support those populations. Obviously, there are instituional forces
>that restrain the latter, but if those institutional obstacles are lowered
>or altogther removed, ecenomic development improves the general living
>standards of the population, the Ricardian-Hegelian-Marxian theoretical
>edifices notwithstanding.
>Wojtek
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- No, I am claiming the opposite. That the development of the productive forces leads to both increased abilities to support the population and increased polarity and the associated increases in food insecurity and hunger. This is where the Marxian theory comes in, to explain this contradiction which the Malthusian argument fails to incorporate.

Brad