[lbo-talk] The zen of marx (was clarification)

Lakshmi Rhone lakshmirhone at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:01:42 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM, ken hanly <northsunm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What has anything Ted said or quoted got to do with Stalinism? Why are
> you scared by the quote? Surely there is nothing Stalinist in stating the
> that at times individuals must be sacrificed for the welfare of all. Surely
> plenty of people who are not Stalinists believe that?

Yes and there have been plenty of people willing to squander life in factories to develop the productive forces, to violently kill off small holders who stood in the way of large scale agriculture, and to exterminate tribals who would not move for dams and mining projects. The quote reads as a theodicy, and has the ring of the least considered thing Marx ever wrote.

LR