[lbo-talk] The zen of marx (was clarification)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 16 10:25:13 PST 2010

Alan Rudy wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Lakshmi Rhone <lakshmirhone at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I really don’t understand why you started talking about rent when we were
> > first trying to figure out what value is and its relation to price.

This is pretty hopeless. "We" weren't trying to figure out anything; YOU were asking a naive question about Marx, pretending at least to be asking an honest question. Some really went out of his way to introduce you to a subject about which you know nothing whatever, and you then come back with the really offensive "we were trying to figure out what value is." It's offensive because it amounts to a lie about the thread. The honest question in this context is "I was trying to find out what Marx meant by 'value.'"

There are disagreements among Marxists themselves about this question, incidentally, but leaving that aside, value has nothing whatever ro do with fixing prices. (Some very profound followers of Marx disagree with that; some very profound followers of Marx agree with it.)

Now, if you want to learn something, pay ateention to what Alan is saying and stop this silly whining.

Carrol