[lbo-talk] NYT: Party Gridlock in Washington Feeds Fear of a Debt Crisis

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Feb 17 13:29:01 PST 2010

I have to object whenever somebody says the U.S. welfare state has been shrunken ("is now tinier"). It's an anumerical claim. I've hashed out the numbers here in the past; you can look it up. And as the otherwise execrable D. Moynihan said about Social Security, if you think it's already gone you are not likely to defend it.

Going forward, we are certainly looking at a dangerous situation, though some of us thought our goose was cooked when G. Bush enjoyed majorities in both the House and Senate, and instead of smashing the welfare state he expanded it (Reagan oversaw a new entitlement as well, though he cut other stuff).

I do take the point that the welfare state was in more danger under Clinton (and perhaps Obama) than either Bush.