[lbo-talk] NYT: Party Gridlock in Washington Feeds Fear of a DebtCrisis

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 17 15:01:10 PST 2010

Chris Maisano wrote:

> And a governability crisis sounds like a hell of a lot of fun to me.
>
> Not if there isn't an organized left around to try to push it in a decent direction. We don't really have one of those, and a crisis situation isn't necessarily the best set of conditions in order to get one together.

Agreed, with one observation. Mass left activity in the '30s did not pick up until there was at least _some_ improvement in the economy (however shallow). BUT the CP core did, I believe, grow in the early '30s -- left intellecuals do tend to move further left during a crisis. Maybe. So while things look grim for the near future, if there is some improvement, or if continued stress provokes a wider response, there will (might) be more cadre than now exists. Perhaps. Maybe. If only.

Carrol