[lbo-talk] What Would Have to Happen First

Lakshmi Rhone lakshmirhone at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:59:26 PST 2010

You have gone to a lot of (cutting and pasting) work to prove nothing. You have me mixed up with someone named Rakesh and another Lakshmi Rhone who seems to have the hardly idiosyncratic position that the Haqqani network and Gulbuddin Hekmatyar are themselves creations of imperialism and a major threat to world peace today and that Enlightenment thinkers are obligated to weaken a movement that has practiced public execution through torture, the enslavement of women, prohibition and destruction of art, surgery without narcotics and the killing of girls who attend schools.

As for the labor theory of value--that's what I have been trying to get John Gulick to explain to me-- it's intuitively plausible on two grounds, as I said at the outset: first, "consumers" do judge the value of commodities in relative terms and on the basis of estimated labor time (yes this handwover sweater has greater value than a machine produced one, and the reason is basically the greater time that went into making it or yes I'll pay more for this fine meal because the foods were marinated overnight and fresh vegetables were cut--in other words, abstract labor time is hardly only a theoretical concept; indeed it has more practical application and less metaphysical status than "utility"), and second, producers are compelled to reduce prices in line with rates of labor productivity growth so that prices will tend to track labor values.

However, producers also want a fair return on their capital and that is not compatible with prices being proportional to values.

All these forces could be in contradiction to each other. Societies are probably composed of contradictory tendencies. Public debate requires the articulation of contradictory arguments so that they can be assessed openly. One should be wary of dismissing uncomfortable arguments on the basis of badly reasoned and empirically thin replies.

LR