[lbo-talk] NYT: Party Gridlock in Washington Feeds Fear of a DebtCrisis

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 17 17:07:32 PST 2010

I'm not persuaded that Americans, including right-wing working class Republicans, will simply acquiesce to rollbacks to Medicare, Social Security and other well-entrenched social programs as suggested below - even if there is no organized left to speak of, even if the Democrats (no shoo-ins for a second term at this stage, BTW) are assigned the task of imposing austerity, even given the current low level of working class political consciousness.

I suspect the US ruling class has a better appreciation than many of us of the potential for significant popular unrest, and of the need to carefully and systematically prepare public opinion, including through a high-profile commission of purportedly "neutral" experts duly deliberating and recommending a series of budget cuts to Congress. The institutions of state are split between those who lean towards higher taxes (Democrats) and those who favour deep spending cuts (Republicans), and some mix of the two will emerge which is impossible to discern at this stage. There is talk of raising the retirement age, introducing a VAT, and eliminating popular tax exemptions, which in themselves would be controversial and certain to provoke resistance, but I doubt the US bourgeoisie has either the class interest or political will to engage in the more sweeping assault on social programs that some on the left are anticipating. Such a prognosis overlooks that the welfare state was as much the product of the ruling class adapting to the requirements of a modern economy as to social pressure from below, and that the reduction of mass purchasing power below a certain level is bad for business.

Which is not an argument for complacency, but to suggest rather the opposite: that the outlook is not that bleak, and the prospect of a fightback has not disappeared.