[lbo-talk] who are the Teabaggers?

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:07:35 PST 2010

[WS:] I think you are right that the times when apolitical middle class kids went to college and were transformed into liberals are long gone, if they ever existed.

However, I think that college has rather little influence on the political views of the students/alumni. Most conservatives/libertarians I met were what I would call "petty bourgeois" - small town lawyers, petty entrepreneurs, salesmen, office workers, and other types of "Babbits" if you will. They tend to be dismissive of the professoriat and "college educated elites" in general even though they have college education themselves.

I tend to believe that their political beliefs are more a result of their cognitive style (which is for a large part hard wired in the brain) than intellectual influence of the academia or other social institution. People whose cognitive style makes it difficult to deal with uncertanity, ambiguity and relativism naturally adopt conservative ideologies. There is an article by Jost et al. "Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition" (Psychological Bulletin, 2003, 129(3):339-375) which reviews research reports supporting this point of view.

Wojtek