[lbo-talk] NYT: Party Gridlock in Washington Feeds Fear of a DebtCrisis

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 07:47:14 PST 2010

I dunno Woj. If you look at a lot of rhetoric post-WWI, at least in the US and UK, there's a strong streak of about "the barbarous Hun." I have a 1920 US printing of Josiah Royce's "Lectures on the Philosophy of Idealism," and part of the preface is devoted to justifying why we should study the philosophy of the Hun, who as everybody knows is totally barbaric and warlike, capable of any atrocity and the sole party responsible for the Great War. Replace "Hegel" with "Heidegger" and it could have been written by James Heartfield. :)

----- Original Message ---- From: Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com>

Prior to 1930, Germany was a social democracy (social democrats were getting most of the votes) known for its high culture and civilization.  Nobody could have predicted that in just a few years it would descend into utmost barbarism, followed by nearly total destruction of its cultural legacy. While I am not arguing that similar form of fascism is bound to descend on the US, I also see a real possiblity of a movement that will wipe out what most Americans take for granted today.  Social security could be one of may casualties  of that movement.

Wojtek