[lbo-talk] mount veron manifesto

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 07:58:36 PST 2010

[WS:] I do not see these as realistic political proposals, but what in social movement literature is called "frame alignment." Frame alignment is a public discourse aimed to attract potential supporters, define the problem for them, and mobilize them for a certain type of action to "rectify" that problem.

One of the key elements of this frame alignment process is that it must resonate with cultural tropes shared by the groups targeted by th emovement's operatives. Anti-institutionalism is such a trope that is quite popular in the US, hence many social movements - right and left wing - use it in its framing.

Th eproblem is that other popular tropes prevalent in the US - individualism, competitiveness, worship of wealth, religiosity, ethnocentrism - are at clearly visible odds with other prominet elements of left wing frames, but fit quite well into the frames created by right wing movements. It is not that US population is right leaning, but that it is more susceptible to right wing framing of social problems.

Wojtek