[lbo-talk] NYT: Party Gridlock in Washington Feeds Fear of a DebtC risis

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Feb 18 07:58:11 PST 2010

That of course is a bit amusing since at that time German philosophy exerted a great influence on American thought. Up through the early 1900s most of the leading US philosophers were idealists of one sort or another, which among other things meant that they were influenced directly or indirectly by Hegel. And even among those American philosophers who were not idealists, like John Dewey, Hegelian influence was quite palpable. Although during the First World War, he, like many of his colleagues, made an effort at hiding this influence.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] NYT: Party Gridlock in Washington Feeds Fear of a DebtCrisis Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:47:14 -0800 (PST)

I dunno Woj. If you look at a lot of rhetoric post-WWI, at least in the US and UK, there's a strong streak of about "the barbarous Hun." I have a 1920 US printing of Josiah Royce's "Lectures on the Philosophy of Idealism," and part of the preface is devoted to justifying why we should study the philosophy of the Hun, who as everybody knows is totally barbaric and warlike, capable of any atrocity and the sole party responsible for the Great War. Replace "Hegel" with "Heidegger" and it could have been written by James Heartfield. :)

____________________________________________________________ Weight Loss Program Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=QLwTmoQ2bvgcb2BwkO8dJgAAJ1DoEMrytxsVXKlEh0tvqeWlAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEUgAAAAA=