[lbo-talk] mount veron manifesto

Mark DeLucas delucasm at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 08:20:00 PST 2010

"I don't know how I feel about this philosophically (in principle I would rather not have the oppressive elements of the state), but I'm increasingly unimpressed with grand anti-state arguments.  Living in a city (Chicago) where the government, while transparently corrupt and often repressive, generally takes care of a bunch of things"

The whole post is well-put.  This particular part reminds me of the following, from Waugh's wartime diary:

"This morning, depressed at the war news..., I came down to breakfast and found the registration book for my car, for which I had applied, arrived by return of post.  I reflected that there was really a great deal which went through smoothly in England, that we made a great fuss when anything went wrong and disregarded the vast machinery that was working successfully all the time, etc., etc.  I then looked at the book and found that it referred to a totally different car."

Heh.