[lbo-talk] Why is the War Important? Was NYT: Party Gridlock in Washingto...

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:30:53 PST 2010

[ws:] It is not difficult to explain. Afghanistan is a hornet nest close to the Russian border, and the Russians got already stung trying to remove it. So they are more than happy to see the Americans doing that work instead. Ditto for China. Afghan islamism may be contagious and fuel centrifugal tendencise in Tibet and other places. In sum, the US war in Afghanistan creates a positive externality or "neighborhood effect" from which both Russia and China benefit without bearing the cost of the war effort.

As to the US - foreign war is one of a very few areas in which th ececutive branch have a relatively free hand without much interefrence from the chatterbox known as the congress. So the war creasts numerous policy opportunities for the executive branch that woul dbe far more constrained in the domestic arens, much more tightly controlled by the congress. So while Obama did not start the war, his administration may have some windfall benefits from it, without facing much pressure to end it. What is more, push to end thewear would undoubtedly face oppsotion from the lements that benefit from it, and would impose addtional cost on the administration. So in th eend, continuing the war does not entail much political cost to the administration, but has some potential benefits, while ending it has no political benefits, but entails political cost. So the choice to continue is obvious.

Wojtek