[lbo-talk] mount veron manifesto

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:45:07 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:07, Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  It is not that US population is right leaning, but that it is
>> more susceptible to right wing framing of social problems.
>>

> And the difference between these is...?

discursive. In the sense that it is only possible to say a limited number of things that will be intelligible. What I see Woj saying is that it is less that people themselves are right leaning, but that, for lack of a better term, the dominant hegemonic discourse only allows for a framing that trends to the right. If you don't use that framing (for instance stuff like freedom and liberty, property and prosperity) you risk being unintelligible.

On the other hand, wouldn't this only be a risk if people generally believed in the legitimacy of those framing devices? Doesn't it deny them the agency of understanding the consequences or polarity of these beliefs if we say, they aren't right wing it's just that they can only understand the world when framed for right wingers? The effect is the same, but makes them rubes.