[lbo-talk] Better live in Sweden than in the US: Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:02:15 PST 2010

RE: A distinguished sociologist I know, who prefers to remain nameless, said that Wilkinson's results are very sensitive to how you specify the equations or set up your country universe

[WS:] I just had a quick look at the charts, but I do not think that the above is valid criticism. First, the selection includes only high income countries, which controls for variance that is associated with income level. Second, this is almost the entire *population* of high income countries, not a sample, therefore the concept of statistical significance is meaningless. Statitical significance denotes the probability that the difference observed in the sample will be null if were to draw other samples of the same size from that population. If that probablity is relatively high (typically higher than 5%) the null hypothesis cannot be rejected by convention. However, if the difference is observed in th epopulation, it is THE difference, as repeated samples of the same size would yield the exat same difference.

Furthermore, they go beyond aggregate statistics and compare individual countries that are very similar but differ on the parameters of interest. That is a valid case study approach.

For a full list of high income countries see http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTABOUTUS/ORGANIZATION/CFPEXT/EXTTRUFUN/EXTMAINPRO/EXTPHRD/0,,contentMDK:20923856~menuPK:2639463~pagePK:64168445~piPK:64168309~theSitePK:2524316,00.html

Wojtek