[lbo-talk] John Cassidy's NYer post on the tea party

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:42:30 PST 2010

>"what matters most for Obama’s political fortunes, and for the overall political health
>of the country, is ensuring that the economic recovery continues and broadens."

1) Reappoint Bernanke, who just jacked up the prime lending rate. 2) Make the right-wing discourse on wasteful federal largesse your own; declare that Stimpak I has already done its job; float trial balloons about trimming entitlement spending. 3) Keeping on pouring money into the Afghan War and the GWOT.

And, it seems that the fallback plan for US recovery is aggressive export diplomacy; when bundled together with already toxic levels of economic populism (of both right-wing and "left"-wing varieties), we're in for an especially interesting period of heightened trade (and currency adjustment) wars -- with the PRC first and foremost, of course.

_________________________________________________________________ Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/