[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Feb 19 09:42:48 PST 2010

I haven't done any of Chip's homework. I commend his research, but that won't stop me from offering my ten cents.

It seems that a non-trivial amount of this discussion has been about definitions. More to the point would be the usefulness of a definition. An historical definition is useful for understanding history. If there is some way of classifying political formations in terms of their potential to trend to historical fascism, or something similar and comparably awful in modern form, that would be useful too.

I think it's a mistake to try to extrapolate a movement's future in terms of some intellectual progression, e.g., fascism is for the state, an anti-state movement cannot become fascist. Nazism included an crypto-anarchist tendency (eventually liquidated).

An anti-state movement might become pro-state-sub-two if they see it as the best way to repudiate the state they think they oppose. I don't see a rich vein of political theory underlying the tea-baggers, more a bundle of political and cultural neuroses. They're looking for a Daddy.

Note that at CPAC many speakers bashed the Republican record, then the mob had a collective orgasm when Dick Cheney showed up.

Teabaggers have shown they can mobilize people, so even absent any left agitation they might still do damage on fledgling signs of progressive mobilization. Some time back, there was the pretty nasty vigilantism directed at strikers in Detroit, and recently you have the disruptions of the health care forums.