[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 19 12:01:49 PST 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > I think I would agree with Chip here. That fiendish anti-state element
> > in current rightis thought is deceptive, being focused on governmental
> > service programs, NOT on the police power of the state, which I think
> > they worship as much as they hate social services provided by the
> > stte.
>
> Sure, but there's nothing new about this in American history either,
> is there?

No, but (I think) the discussion here is around the _potential_ of current right extremism as base for a "fascist" movmement should one arise. And I think the same could be said for this tendency as it has shown itself in the pat. Silver Shirts were a triviality in the '30s, but Father Coughlin, for one, was less trivial. No fascist movement of substance emerged, but that (small?) core for one did then and, if Chip is right, does now. But I don't know enough history to be very positive about any of this.

Carrol