[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Feb 19 18:07:42 PST 2010

On Fri, February 19, 2010 2:25 pm, Chip Berlet wrote:

> The tea bag folks can do tremendous damage to progressive goals as they
> pull the opportunistic Republicans and Democrats to the political right.

Nonsense. The Democruds had 60 Senators, the House, a media-savvy President, and the mandate of the worst economic crisis in 80 years. And what did they do with that mandate?

Let's go over the list: no EFCA, no financial re-regulation, not a single indictment for decades of mortgage and securities fraud -- just soothing speeches about how we need to "move on" from the past. A pittance for desperate home-owners, but billions for AIG's counter-parties. Insignificant sums for green jobs and renewables, but trillions for endless Imperial wars and the backstopping of Wall Street hucksters. One slightly mollifying speech in Cairo, followed by a return to the drumbeat for war on Iran and an expansion of the failed colonization of Afghanistan.

-- DRR