[lbo-talk] Texans and the Flintstones

Bill O'Connor billyoc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:21:45 PST 2010

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

> [I know it's a little too easy for a Yankee to have fun at the expense
> of Texas, but this poll was done and written up by Texans.]
>
> <http://www.texastribune.org/stories/2010/feb/17/meet-flintstones/>
>
> Nearly a third of Texans believe humans and dinosaurs roamed the earth
> at the same time, and more than half disagree with the theory that
> humans developed from earlier species of animals, according to the
> University of Texas/Texas Tribune Poll.

Aren't they busy rewriting the textbooks for the whole *country* down there?

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/08/21/texas-history-gingrich/

Texas to revise history textbooks: liberals out, Limbaugh and Gingrich in.

The Texas State Board of Education review committee is preparing to vote on a draft of proposed standards for history textbooks. Noting that the draft has “nothing about liberals,” the Houston Chronicle reported:

The first draft for proposed standards in United States History

Studies Since Reconstruction says students should be expected “to

identify significant conservative advocacy organizations and

individuals, such as Newt Gingrich, Phyllis Schlafly and the Moral

Majority.” [...] Others have proposed adding talk show host Rush

Limbaugh and the National Rifle Association.

The 15-member committee, stacked with 10 Republicans, is expected to vote along party lines. Earlier this year, a panel of right-wing “experts” produced a report urging the committee to remove biographies of George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Stephen F. Austin, and César Chávez, and instead add history about the “motivational role the Bible and the Christian faith played in the settling of the original colonies.”

By all means, mess with Texas.

-- In Solidarity, Billy O'Connor