[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 20 04:43:09 PST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Chip Berlet wrote:

> I do regret you have decided to post glib and unhelpful responses
> here.
> I expect better of you. You could help by engaging in a serious
> discussion.

Chip, I've been arguing that the things that you and other point to as somehow pre-fascist are ancient features of American life. If you find that glib and unhelpful, we have different definitions of these words.

I also think it's neither glib nor unhelpful to point out how often the sounding of alarms about the neo-Nazi threat lead to apologias for the Democrats.

What political practice is implied by the sounding of the fascist threat, anyway? Sic the FBI on them? Agitate for social democratic politics to defuse the anger of the baying mob? What?

Doug