[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research +++

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:00:30 PST 2010

Doug, I do not think the USSR is a good example. I used Yugoslavia which, like the US, had a federal structure held in place mainly by the federal gov, and disintegrated as an uninteneded consequence of fascist mobilizing whic resulted from power struggle among different parts of the ruling elite.

The fed is a powerful institution, but its power is contingent on two factors: the cohesion of the ruling elite, and cooperation of the states. My argument was that none of these factors would obtain. Fascist mobilization could occur as a result of struggle among elites, and states would respond differently to that mobilization.

Of course we can argue that in this hypothetical situation the fed's response would be to maintain control by force. They did during the Civil War and gain, albeit on a smaller scale, during the Civil Rights movement. But I think that this outcome would be less likely than a breakup of the union for a very simple reason - I do not think that modern day Americans have much taste for a war, let alone a civil war.

Wojtek