[lbo-talk] questions for the fascist-watchers

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 15:12:20 PST 2010

Doug, your first point assumes only one possible, but unlikely scenario, namely fascism developing from below. A more likely scenario is that it can develop from above, when internal conflicts among different segments of the ruling elites intensifies, and to gain upper hand in that conflict some segments of that elite will seek allies with fascist elements. This is the scenario that actually did happen recently, in Chile and Yugoslavia.

So the question is how likely such war among elites is likely to happen in the US. To this day, not very likely, but mainly because until recently the US was an ascending state, politically and economically. Therefore, the prospect of an ever growing pie was a powerful incentive for truce. However, if that pie starts shrinking, conflicts among elite will likely intensify.

Again this is unlikely to happen today, but I would not rule that out in ten or twenty years from now.

Wojtek