[lbo-talk] questions for the fascist-watchers

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Feb 20 23:30:21 PST 2010

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, SA wrote:

>> If they don't, I'm not sure they'll end up pushing the system to the
>> right in the end.
>>
>> If they follow the normal logic of a third party in a 2 party system,
>> they'll end up doing the opposite: rewarding the terrible Dems for
>> being terrible.
>
> I'm not sure I follow. You think the TP will run candidates against
> Republicans in general elections?

They're already doing so. They lost a Republican seat in the NY 23rd district that has been Republican for decades by attacking the Republican candidate from the right with another one. And John McCain is now facing a challenge.

But also in the open elections, I expect them to fight the mainstream Republican candidates with much more conservative candidates. Isn't that their whole raison d'etre? TPers were very chuffed after the 23rd District thing for exactly the reasons you say: because it was a "shot across the bow" of the mainstream Republicans that they couldn't take their base for granted.

Michael