[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sun Feb 21 08:28:15 PST 2010

OK, that's a really good point, Carrol.

The TP folks are being "mobilized" but not "organized."

-cb

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Carrol Cox Sent: Sun 2/21/2010 8:37 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism,and contemporary research

Joanna wrote:

> My overall impression about the TP "movement" is that it is a largely
> top-down manufactured populist movement that is used by the standing
> parties to justify further moves to the right as responses to popular
> pressures.

This reminds me of one passing comment by Chip that I strongly disagree with. He referred to the TP as "out-organizing" leftists, or something like that.

But to call out, with the gughing aid of the mass media, a known sector of the population to join a public celebration of thheir deeply intrenched prefudices, with no need to participate actively in the internal organization of ths 'movement'-- that bears no similarity whatever to the tasks faced by leftists organizers; it isn't even properly designatd by the word "organize."