[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sun Feb 21 13:43:40 PST 2010

See below:

________________________________

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Doug Henwood Sent: Sun 2/21/2010 3:06 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism,and contemporary research

On Feb 21, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Chip Berlet wrote:

> Fascist social movements are typified by an apparent ideological
> lack of a coherent ideology--full of "passionate intensity."

So fascist social movements don't necessarily lead to fascism, except in the few instances that they did?

This use of the word "fascism" is mystifyingly promiscuous.

As I've said here about 40 times, the Tea Baggers have a lot in common with more than a century of right-wing petty bourgeois American populism. So did the militia movement of the 1990s

(which, by the way, sort of met its end via Tim McVeigh, so seeing him as the culmination of the thing is somewhat strange).

>>>Actually, the militia movement continued to grow for a few more years after the OKC bombing. Another liberal myth stomped on. In addition, McVeigh had moved through the militia movement and ended up in a neonazi cell that blew up the OKC federal building to try to move the right-wing populist militia movement from reformism into an insurgent stance. A little spark will start a prairie fire? Seldom works, but people die. Not a small thing to shrug off as histrionics.

American political history is full of crazy right-wing shit. Why get so unusually exercised about it? It's a chronic affliction, about which we can do...what exactly?

But the word "fascism" is great for attracting attention, that's for sure.

-cb