[lbo-talk] Cockburn cut back at Nation

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 20:25:44 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:05 PM, <wrobert at uci.edu> wrote:
> E.P. Thompson initially made the accusation in his polemic against
> Althusser.  (If you're interested in this, look at Dennis Dworkin's
> Cultural Marxism in Postwar Britain, although it makes no attempt to
> actually represent Althusser.)  Perry Anderson wrote the defenses for the
> productivity of Althusser in response to Thompson. I suspect the article
> is referencing this conflict. robert wood

Yeah, as it happens I'm presently proofreading a friend's manuscript about'The Poverty of Theory and Other Essays' - EP Thompson's political and intellectual background and the context. (There's also a chapter on the rancorous exchange with Kolakowski which SA might find interesting.) The book's being published this year.

Anderson's response is 'Arguments within English Marxism' which I think is pretty good. Like Anderson, I'm more sympathetic to Althusser than Thompson is, but the Poverty of Theory is a brilliant essay in its own right.

I like Perry Anderson an awful lot, and find him only occasionally pompous (e.g. titling an essay 'Jottings on the Conjuncture'). But I really think the UK New Left milieu as a whole - even if half of it is in polemic with the other half - produced a hell of a lot of great stuff which is still useful today. We don't really have to choose anymore between Thompson and Althusser, or Thompson and Anderson, or Poulantzas and Miliband, etc. The debates themselves are great.

Mike Beggs