[lbo-talk] Althusser, NLR and the meaning of 'Stalinism'

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 02:45:47 PST 2010

Sorry, I misled. I didn't mean that Anderson was right that Althusser was a Stalinist, I mean that Hitchens was right that Althusser was a Stalinist.

As for 'repulsive shit' that's my view, but I don't know what else you would call someone who, in his capacity as a member of his PCF branch committee not only allowed his resistance-hero wife to be falsely traduced as a Gestapo agent, and even voted for her to be expelled from the party on these grounds (See The Future Lasts a Long Time). At the behest of his hack comrades, he assassinated Helene Rytmann's character long before he killed her in fact.