[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 05:21:21 PST 2010

Just to be clear, Carrol: You are saying that the National and State Dems lost the Massachusetts Senate seat on purpose and on principal. You are saying that the Democratic Party in Michigan has intentionally embraced the obstructionist, government- and governance-devastating politics of no that the Republicans have practiced since Granholm was elected on purpose and on principal. Political practices that have impeded neoliberal reforms and the generation of conditions for neoliberal profitability? You are saying that, no matter how much money it would save the nation, states and corporations, the Democratic Party has obliterated any real chance at health care reform on purpose and on principal. You are saying that the insanity of your ex-Governor and his impeachment arose from Democratic principals and happened on purpose to serve their neoliberal traditions. You are saying that Gray Davis' implosion and the rise of Schwartzenagerism in CA was an intentional consequence of Democratic neoliberalism. You are saying that the various piccadellios, corruptions and incompetences of Democratic governors in NY and NJ were a intentional result of neoliberal commitments. If all this comes from their neoliberal commitments, why is there absolutely no bipartisanship? If it was just about power, and who served neoliberalism best, the two parties would be able to cooperate on some stuff, yet they are not. Of course they're neoliberal, who'd expect them to be anything else. However, your claim that they are competent flies in the face of way too much of reality to make any sense at all. They don't have to be my friends, or share my goals, to be incompetent.