[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 08:14:27 PST 2010

I think the examples I raised are apples and yours are oranges, and I mostly like your oranges but don't think they contradict my apples.

The Dem Party in Mass is not run or primarily supported by mass movement institutions like unions, etc... it is far more Cambridge, Boston, Newton, Northampton, Amherst than it is Worster, Lowell, New Bedford and Springfield that dominates the party. They coulda run any number of people in any number of neoliberal-friendly ways and won that seat but they nominated an incompetent who ran even more incompetently.

Also, your point about bipartisanship would be more robust if bipartisanship actually seemed the goal as opposed to just the words. Are you saying that the neoliberal dems know what they are doing but aren't able to sufficiently discipline members of the House and Senate - despite their majorities - to get actual bipartisan agreements? Or are you saying that the neoliberal dems are generating a planned gridlock and gridlock is what bipartisanship actually means?

I think the public's affection for Clinton, after 1994, came from the fact that his Admin actually got things done - even if it was neoliberal - and times were "good.". I think the public's (esp. swing voters') disaffection with Obama is that his Admin seems constitutionally incapable of getting things done, even if they are neoliberal and disciplinary. I think that Obama would be far more popular if he and his Admin actually led us in neoliberal directions, which you say they mean to do, and we all know they have had the majorities to do, but they're not even really doing that.