[lbo-talk] Althusser, NLR and the meaning of 'Stalinism'

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Feb 22 10:41:31 PST 2010

I think that I am going to stay out of this discussion for the most part because its been fairly repugnant, but I thought I would note that Althusser's memoir was written in the last decade of his life, a time in which he was in and out of institutions because of his mental illness. It is generally not considered a reliable testimony, and a number of claims have been disproved (for instance Althusser claims to have never read Freud in the book, despite the evidence of his extensive comments contained in the margins of his books.)

Althusser suffered from depressions his entire life (or at least after his experiences in the prison camps) and this situation only increased as he got older.

Robert Wood