[lbo-talk] Althusser, NLR and the meaning of 'Stalinism'

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 15:53:00 PST 2010

Mike Beggs wrote: 'Perry Anderson ... Althusser ...EP Thompson'. It would be interesting to go forward fifty years from now and ask the question which of these three would have the stronger reputation. E. P. Thompson, I would have said, because his histories are that much more interesting. Though thinking about it, Anderson maybe has created more of an organisation to carry on his good works, but maybe less of a coherent idea of what those good works are. Althusser will always be disliked, I guess, but his anti-human philosophy has a while to run yet, as long, in fact, as their is no substantial challenge to the status quot.