[lbo-talk] ciao, unions

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 09:41:41 PST 2010

"most of the change of opinion came among independents and Republicans. Among independents, 66% said unions had too much power, up from 53% in 1999. Three-quarters of Republicans (75%) last year said that unions had too much power, up from 65% 10 years earlier. By comparison, 46% of Democrats concurred, which was little changed from 1999 (42%)."

So, as Republicans get more conservative, they get more conservative and, as the economy goes into the crapper, independents support labor less. I have a feeling that such folks know little or nothing about unions, their history and what they ought to - rather than often do - stand for... not that unions have done a great job making their case of late... The UAW's representation of state and auto workers in Michigan has been weak, mostly behind the scenes and presented - without rebuttal - by Repugs as obstructionist. (I'm not putting the majority of the blame on unions but, from here in mid-Michigan, its hard to see that they've helped their case much in the Rust Belt.)

Hoping to be shown that I'm wrong...