[lbo-talk] ciao, unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 25 12:15:10 PST 2010

On Feb 25, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> Do you know of any left theory that differentiates between them in any
> intelligent way?

Can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I'm sure some others could.

I don't think that independent cab drivers and the like are all that large a force, either economically or politically. (A lot of "contractors" are actually employees, who are deemed independent so employers can screw them. E.g., FedEx Ground, or software permatemps.) But actual small business owners and professionals, whom I'd call the modern p.b., are pretty important. They're a major base for the Republican right, and long have been.