[lbo-talk] Responsibilities

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 06:49:22 PST 2010

On the issue of finance and derivatives as smart or stupid- I cannot recommend strongly enough Dick Bryan and Michael Rafferty's book Capitalism with Derivatives. Not only does it show that financial derivatives mark a new period of capitalism- with associated shifts in the ownership and control relationship and some interesting things could be said about how this changes the relationship between petty bourg and prols with owners- but it is also a very nice materialist understanding of neoliberalism (contra Harvey's rather idealist one). You simply cannot dismiss derivatives due to the recent financial problems which are nothing more than scams on the periphery of a much larger issue. Derivative markets are so large and play such a massive role in how capitalism operates today that there really is no way of getting rid of them, unless we rid ourselves of the whole system. To see them as stupid or as merely gambling is to miss their importance because of an unwillingness to see the shifts in capitalism before ones eyes. While it might be fun to see the class that rules as stupid, it does nothing to aid in the transcendence of that rule.

Brad