[lbo-talk] ciao, unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 26 10:02:09 PST 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> Without arguing strongly against this corrective, I'm not sure
> opposition to
> the TARP was primarily rooted in supporting "small" business... my
> sense was
> that it was primarily tied to hating deficits, government spending
> and big
> gov't.

Big biz can live with deficits if they're intended to save their asses. Wall Street mostly supported the StimPak, at least the saner people at the name-brand institutions.

Reps have the same problem Dems do - how to satisfy the electoral base while not offending big capital. The Dems have to throw the working class a bone now & then, and the Reps have to keep the petties happy. Plus there's the regional angle - the Reps' geographic base is in the south and interior west, and these are not the most cosmopolitan people in the world. The local business class in the provinces has long been a major financial and popular base for the far right.

Doug