[lbo-talk] LA Times: Most 'tea party' followers are baby boomers reliving the '60s

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 26 10:26:57 PST 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 1:07 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> "Oceans of ink, terabytes of blog space and an eternity of
> television time
> have been devoted to the latest object of media fascination, the
> 'tea party'
> movement. Now (finally!), a poll conducted by CNN gives us some hard
> data on
> the Tea Party Nation."
>
> http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-ellis25-2010feb25,0,5318715.story

Hmm, the authors: "Jim Spencer and Curtis Ellis are Democratic political consultants...."

This is the same CNN poll we discussed here the other day. It showed that the TPers are white, rural Protestants. That's hardly the retread 60s demographic these guys are assigning to them.

Generational cliches make me want to scream.