[lbo-talk] LA Times: Most 'tea party' followers are baby boomers reliving the '60s

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 26 10:49:10 PST 2010

On Feb 26, 2010, at 1:39 PM, Mark Rickling wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Generational cliches make me want to scream.
>
> Forget the cite, but think it's safe to say nothing approaching a
> majority of college students in the 60s participated in political
> activism.

No, and as Rick Perlstein argued, the 60s were also the time when the New Right laid the foundation for its revival in the 1970s. Didn't feel that way to me at the time, though.

Which makes me think that Carrol has a point in emphasizing the importance of keeping things alive even when the big picture looks so damn bleak. When I was a right-winger in 1970-72, we thought we were the last of a dying breed, heroically defending liberty and civilization from the collectivizing hordes. We had no idea that one of ours would be elected president 10 years later.

Doug