[lbo-talk] Limonov, was eXile

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 18:37:22 PST 2010

I went to a poetry reading Limonov gave about a year or so ago. I was kind of surprised, because I was expecting the place to be full of Other Russia lunatics (Other Russia being named after Limonov's book of the same name, although you wouldn't know it from reading the Washington Post, which seems to think that OR is a bunch of democrats, rather than being what they actually are -- a PR stunt by the National Bolshevik Party), but except for the guy who I think was Limonov's bodyguard it was mostly a bunch of bohemian types. It was really good. Unfortunately, the question and answer bit was voided because some guy in the audience insisted on reading the Ode to Limonov that he had written.

He totally looks like Trotsky, probably on purpose (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo52uf-0N7I)

One of my exes has met him (since her late husband was a nationalist poet who moved in those circles -- it's a little crazy, he (the husband, not Limonov) was, she says, a really hardcore alcoholic (she married way too young), and at some point during the DTs he decided that she was a CIA agent and started trying to hunt her down after they split up). According to her, Limonov is a totally self-centered asshole. She met Anpilov as well, and says he's a really nice guy. (Is he still doing anything?_