[lbo-talk] Minnesota contemplates high speed rail

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 01:27:53 PST 2010

On 1/2/10, Steven Robinson <srobin21 at comcast.net> wrote:

> The most sweeping rail plan in Minnesota history envisions ...

Best US transport planning I've heard lately, but ...

> "It's an exciting time because I think the public is ready for trains," ...

> Passenger rail, largely erased from the American landscape 40 years
> ago, is undergoing a resurgence in popularity as billions of federal
> dollars come available.

Sounds good.

I'm in China, where an extensive network of high-speed trains is already running and massive upgrades are under way. It is really useful.

> "They're not your grandfathers' trains anymore,"... new high-speed
> trains -- defined by national standards at 110 mph -- that ...

What? Europe, Japan & China all have much faster trains. Why so slow?

> Rochester's advantage is that trains could run as fast as 150 mph,
> he said, while trains along the "river route" would run no faster than
> 110 mph ...

Newest Chinese lines hit 250 mph. The slowest on the network, like Nanjing to Shanghai, are around 160 mph top speed; those already have upgrades under construction.

Should the US be considering buying some Chinese technology here? Or talking to Bombardier, Kawasaki & Ascom, where the Chinese got it.