[lbo-talk] Obama killing Pakistani civilians at 8 times Bush's rate

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 10:50:44 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Percival Myers wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>> [700 in Obama's first year, vs. an average of 82 a year in 2006 & 2007. Not
>> clear from these reports what the 2008 average was, but it's clearly lower.]
>>
>> <http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/pakistan/18-over-700-killed-in-44-drone-strikes-in-2009-am-01>
>
> Perhaps. What about 2001 and 2002, etc.?

What I mean is, we know that #43 quickly shifted focus from Afghanistan after the initial blitz, to the detriment of Iraq. We also know that the Afghanistan/Pakistan border is somewhat porous. Just like some or all segments of Iraq/Iran borders, since 2003. So any comparison of Pakistani deaths between #43/#44 and 2006-on and 2009 is flawed, for all of the obvious reasons and as a statistician of some repute, Doug, I'm surprised you didn't comment on that. Maybe you were goading me or someone like me to make that comment.

So before we dump on #44 that much more, what are Iranian deaths due to US actions in Iraq by year, 2003-present, for example? What are the rest of the 2001-present numbers for Pakistanis and Afghanistan?

Percy