[lbo-talk] Obama killing Pakistani civilians at 8 times Bush's rate

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 08:15:59 PST 2010

I don't know, and have never read, Postone but if he agrees with you I'd put it rather differently. Marx would never have sought to use the dialectical analysis of (abstract) Value - an analysis very specific to the material and historical conditions of capitalism - to understand other modes of production where wage labor, the commodity form of need satisfaction and abstract Value were not hegemonic. This does, however, raise the >100 year old question of how to analyze the partially capitalized sectors and partially modernized countries existing alongside and trading with dominant and more fully capitalized sectors and modernized countries. The broader analytic orientation of the materialist conception of history and the labor theory of (use- and exchange-)value (not Abstract Value) were, however, at the foundation of all of work done on ancient, colonial and ethnographic cases. APR